For Immediate Release:
March 29, 2012
Get ready for the annual
'Weekend in Old Monmouth’ tour
40 historic Monmouth County sites to be open
for visits May 5 and 6
FREEHOLD, NJ – “Weekend in Old Monmouth” returns for the fourth year with 40 historic sites throughout Monmouth County opening their doors to visitors interested in local history. Hours for most sites are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, May 5 and from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 6.
“Weekend in Old Monmouth is becoming a great event for all of the participating historic sites,” said Freeholder Lillian G. Burry, liaison to the county’s Historical Commission, coordinator of the weekend event. “The sites on the tour are generally operated independently of one another, but this special tour project synchronizes their hours of operation so history buffs can travel by foot, bicycle or car to enjoy and take in many of the county’s rich historic places.”
“The tour includes 40 sites and each illustrates a piece of local history,” said Randall Gabrielan, executive director of the Historical Commission. “The outlined tours help put the pieces together thematically or geographically. Many previous tour visitors have elected to see the places in an order of their own selection. The proposed starting points are just to get people started.”
You can start planning your route by previewing the tour sites on the county’s Web site at www.visitmonmouth.com. After April 1, a detailed tour book and tour map will be available on the Web site. On the tour dates, each tour stop will also have maps and booklets available.
The tours also represent several historic themes:
- Shore: While the tour includes sites on the north, (Sandy Hook), central (Ocean Grove) and southern shores, (National Guard Militia Museum) the drive along the shore is one of the best ways to feel and appreciate Monmouth County’s relationship to the Ocean.
- Faith: Architectural gems of each of the last three centuries, 18th century Christ Church in Shrewsbury, 19th century All Saints Memorial in Middletown and 20th century St. Catharine’s in Spring Lake. In addition, Old Tennent Church in Manalapan is closely tied to the Battle of Monmouth and the Friends Meeting House in Shrewsbury represents one of the oldest worship traditions in Monmouth County.
- The Revolutionary War: The Revolution is visited here, not only the major sites in the Monmouth Battlefield area, but in lesser known places such as the Burrowes Mansion in Matawan, Marlpit Hall and the Murray Farm, both in Middletown.
- Military: There is Fort Hancock at Sandy Hook, the most heavily fortified installation on the East Coast for much of the 20th century, the National Historic Landmark Monmouth Battlefield in Manalapan and one of the more fascinating, but lesser known museums, the New Jersey National Guard Militia Museum in Sea Girt with museum exhibits and fighter aircraft and tanks.
- Preservation: Marlpit Hall in Middletown was the first restored house museum in the region, dating from its 1930s opening.
Other elements on the tour also include lighthouses, Victorian homes, agriculture, industry, education and science. All of the sites contributed to the importance of preservation and history throughout Monmouth County. The county supports the preservation movement annually by awarding preservation grants to historic sites. Many of the tour locations have received grants in the past.
A site list and map are available on the county’s website at www.visitmonmouth.com
# # #
Tour Site, Municipality
All Saints Memorial Church, Middletown
Allaire Historic Village, Wall
Allen House, Shrewsbury
Ardena School Museum, Howell
Burrowes Mansion Museum, Matawan
Centennial Cottage, Ocean Grove, Neptune
Christ Church, Shrewsbury
Covenhoven House, Freehold
Dr Cooke’s Medical Office, Holmdel
Eatontown Museum, Eatontown
Eden Woolley House, Ocean
Old First Church, Middletown
First Presbyterian Church, Rumson
Friends Meeting House, Shrewsbury
Great Auditorium, Ocean Grove
Holmes-Hendrickson House, Holmdel
InfoAge Science Center (Camp Evans), Wall
Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County, Freehold Township
Keyport Steamboat Dock Museum, Keyport
Longstreet Farm, Historic, Holmdel
MacKenzie House, Howell
Marlpit Hall & Taylor-Butler House, Middletown
Monmouth Battlefield State Park, Manalapan
Monmouth County Historical Association Museum, Freehold
Joseph Murray Farmhouse, Middletown
National Guard Militia Museum, Sea Girt
Oakley Farm House, Freehold Township
Ocean Grove Historical Museum, Ocean Grove
St Catharine’s Church, Spring Lake
Sandy Hook Lighthouse, Middletown
Seabright Lawn Tennis & Cricket Club, Rumson
Seabrook-Wilson House, Middletown
Shrewsbury Historical Museum, Shrewsbury
Strauss Mansion Museum, Atlantic Highlands
Old Tennent Church, Manalapan
Twin Lights Lighthouse, Highlands
Village Inn, Englishtown
Old Wall Historical Society, Wall
Walnford, Historic, Upper Freehold
West Freehold School Museum, Freehold Township
# # #