For Immediate Release:
May 25, 2012
Shore EZ Ride Jitney
for summer season
service connects trains
to the beach and shopping for $1 per ride
LONG BRANCH, NJ – Monmouth County and its transportation partners are once again making it easier for visitors arriving in Monmouth County by train to get to the beaches, shopping and dining. Today marks the 2012 kickoff of the Shore EZ Ride Jitney Shuttle bus service, which will provide the transportation link in four beachfront communities.
“The EZ Ride Jitney encourages people who live all along NJ Transit’s North Jersey Coastline to visit the Jersey Shore by train, knowing that once they arrive they will have transportation to the beaches and downtown shopping and dining areas,” said Freeholder Thomas A. Arnone, liaison to the county’s Department of Economic Development and the Department of Public Information and Tourism.
This is the first year the City of Long Branch has opted into the program. The service, made possible by a grant from the Federal Transit Authority (FTA), will operate Thursday through Sunday in Long Branch, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove and Bradley Beach. The FTA is supplying 75 percent of the funding, with the towns kicking in the remaining 25 percent.
“This is a great opportunity for the county to partner with our shore municipalities to help bring tourism dollars into their towns,” said Jeanne DeYoung, the county’s tourism representative. “Not only does it connect visitors who come by train to the beaches, the service is available to anyone who wants a ride to the beach or to do some downtown shopping or dining.”
The shuttle service will cost $1 per ride. Transportation partners involved in the shuttle include Meadowlink Transportation Management Association, which is providing E-Z Ride buses, NJ Transit and the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority. Also involved in the project are the Monmouth County Planning Division, the county Department of Public Information and Tourism, and the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
“The Shore EZ Ride Jitney will increase tourism in these four shore communities and help their businesses, which is something we all want to achieve,” Arnone said. “The more people use the shuttle the less traffic congestion there will be this summer in these busy towns.”
The Shore EZ Ride Jitney will run from May 25 through Sept. 3. The hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday through Sunday to accommodate the dinner crowds.
“Twenty-four hours from now there’s going to be people streaming in where we are standing now, figuring out where they’re going to park,” Long Branch Mayor Adam Schneider said. “Our beaches are going to be mobbed, and w need to get people in an out and move them around.”
“What a wonderful example this is of collaboration among governmental units, which is what we need to see more of in New Jersey,” Assemblywoman Mary Pat Angelini said. “I’m just so thrilled this has taken off in our neck of the woods in Monmouth County.
Grace Hanlon, New Jersey’s director of Travel and Tourism, said, “It makes me happy that I can promote coming to New Jersey in an environmentally friendly way, that’s going to ease the traffic and improve the tourism experience.”
“We were one of the cities under the trial run of this service last year,” said Tom Gilmour, Asbury Park’s director of commerce. “We’re big believers that this is the service that is very beneficial for people coming to the City of Asbury Park.”
Bradley Beach Mayor Julie Schrek said, “I think all of us can agree that our quality of life will improve with fewer cars on the road.”
“This jitney has allowed many of our residents to go out and about on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights to experience restaurants in Bradley Beach and Asbury Park,” Neptune Township Committeewoman Mary Beth Jahn said. “It also brought a lot of people down by train where they can get on a shuttle and come in.”
# # #