The Monmouth County Clerk has been responsible for maintaining a record of real property transfers in Monmouth County since 1675. Copies of recorded deeds are filed in the Office of the County Clerk, Market Yard, P.O. Box 1251, Freehold, NJ 07728 and are available for inspection by the public. Office hours for inspection are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays.
The Monmouth County Clerk's Office stands ready to assist with recordation of real property ownership and transfer, and in retrieval of information from such recorded documents, in accordance with New Jersey law. With our new state-of-the-art computer system, all recorded information is available immediately, with the image available within 24-36 hours.
TO RECORD A DEED
A properly prepared deed presented for recording should be clearly legible and should show:
- This is for information purposes only. It is always best to contact your legal representative.
- Printed or typed name and signature of who prepared the deed
- Date the deed was prepared and acknowledged
- Grantor's (seller) name and address
- Grantee's (buyer) name and address
- Consideration - the sale price
- Description of the property- metes and bounds
- Appropriate GIT form(s) (Gross Income Tax)
- Appropriate Affidavit of Consideration (Buyer/Seller)
- Municipality in which the property lies must be in Monmouth County
- Tax lot and block number
- Acknowledgment of Grantor's signature attested to by a notary public or other qualified person
- To whom the deed should be returned following recordation
- Proper recording fees (check or escrow account)
- Proper realty transfer fee (must be in check form). Any realty transfer fee $1,000 or over must be certified check, bank check, or attorney trust account check.
DEED RECORDING FEES PROCESSING YOUR DEED
On acceptance of your deed by the County Clerk's Office, it is validated with an instrument number, date, time, book and page number, total number of pages and the fee. The entire document is imaged and microfilmed, and the original returned to the party designated at the time of recording, usually the purchaser or attorney.
OBTAINING COPIES OF DEEDS
You may make reduced copies of recorded deeds on the coin-operated photocopy machines located in the Office of the County Clerk, Market Yard, Freehold, NJ 07728
Certification of a copy of a deed by the Monmouth County Clerk may be obtained on payment of $10.00 plus $1.50 per page of instrument. County employees will be happy to show you how to use the Russell Index System or the computer. For information relative to the services performed by the County Clerk's Office, please call: 732-431-7324.
ONLINE RECORD SEARCH
Most documents recorded from October 1996 forward may be viewed and printed. Deeds recorded from January 1, 1976 through present can be viewed and printed.
Any check $10,000 or over, in the aggregate, must be a certified check or an official bank check.
THIS SITE IS NOT TO BE USED, NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE USED, AS A TITLE SEARCHING TOOL.
for questions or comments: